Everyone should have a place in their home where they can relax, use their creativity or simply escape from the stressors of everyday life. Guys have certainly embraced this notion with the infamous “man cave,” but what about the ladies? If you’re longing for a recreational spot to call your own, creating a “she-shed” could be the perfect way to prioritize personal time without ever leaving your home. Check out these simple tips from the design team at Sam Levitz Furniture to transform an ordinary outdoor shed (or spare room in your home) into the ultimate feminine space.
Determine the purpose of your she-shed
First things first, it’s important to determine what you intend to use your she-shed for. Chances are that the space in will be limited, which means that every piece of furniture and accessory should be thoughtfully selected. Recognizing how you’ll use your she-shed will ensure that you invest in items that are as practical as possible.
The sky’s the limit in terms of how you could design and decorate your she-shed. Here are some ideas of activities to inspire your personal she-shed decor:
- Reading: A comfortable chair, stylish bookshelves and an eye-catching table lamp is all it will take to create an adorable personal library.
- Sewing: If you love to sew, be sure to include a desk that’s spacious enough to accommodate your machine, fabrics and accessories.
- Art: Keep your art supplies organized in an unexpected way with a beautiful dresser or entryway table.
- Gardening: Incorporate outdoor furniture if you intend to use your she-shed to care for your potted plants.
- Exercise: Be sure to bring in a plush area rug to make working out at home pleasant.
- Relaxing: Don’t forget to add features that help you relax, such as a hammock, calming colors or fresh flowers.
Keep things tidy
When your she-shed is organized and clutter-free, you’ll look forward to spending time in it. The secret to keeping any space in your home clean and tidy is incorporating practical storage solutions and giving every item in the space a specific place to call home. With this in mind, bringing in shelves, cabinets, bins and other storage solutions should be a top priority when designing your she-shed. Luckily, keeping your personal belongings organized can also enhance the space’s overall style. For instance, using a wicker basket to store shoes by the door can add texture to the room, while choosing detailed furniture, such as this accent cabinet, can maximize the room’s visual intrigue and make it more unique.
Add cozy touches
Your she-shed should be a space that exudes tranquility and prioritizes recreation. If it feels like the space is lacking warmth and coziness, it’s time to add elements that will set it over the top in terms of comfort and charm. Remember, the more relaxing your she-shed is the better. This is where you’ll go to get away from the chaos of the world, after all.
Keep these ideas in mind to help your she-shed feel as cozy and relaxing as possible.
- Use scented candles or an essential oil diffuser to help the space smell as good as it looks.
- Replace harsh overhead lighting with task and accent light fixtures for an inviting vibe.
- Add accent pillows and throw blankets to your sofa or chairs.
- Bring in a few potted plants to make the space feel homey.
- Hang dreamy curtain panels to help ordinary windows feel luxurious.
Embrace feminine features
If ever there was a space in your home that called for all things feminine, it’s your she-shed. While the other rooms in your home may call for neutral or even masculine touches, your she-shed gives you free rein to embrace your favorite accessories and home decor. Whether you’re a girly girl or prefer more subtle feminine elements, incorporating a few feminine pieces in your she-shed is a great way to make it feel soft, elegant and contemporary.
Here are some easy ways to add feminine features to your she-shed.
- Choose muted, understated or pastel colors, such as blush or lavender.
- Invest in furniture with luxurious upholstery, such as this velvet accent chair.
- Bring in pieces with rounded edges, such as dining room chairs or a loveseat.
- Add floral prints to everything from your decorative pillows and artwork to curtains and tablecloths.
Freshen up the exterior
The inside of your she-shed isn’t the only area that should be thoughtfully decorated. The exterior can play a big role in how your she-shed looks and feels. To help your she-shed look as good on the outside as it does on the inside, check out these simple ideas.
- Give the outside of the shed a fresh coat of paint.
- Add a seasonal wreath and welcome mat to create a charming entryway.
- Use an eye-catching outdoor table to enjoy your favorite beverage or entertain guests.
- Hang bistro lights in the trees around the shed to create a romantic vibe all year long.
There’s no wrong way to design a she-shed. At the end of the day, if it’s a space that brings you joy, then you’ve succeeded. To ensure that you get the most out of your personal space, it’s a good idea to add elements that you love and pieces that are tailored to your needs and preferences, such as photos of your family or a collection of items from your travels.
For everything you need to create the she-shed of your dreams, the trusted design experts at Sam Levitz Furniture in Tucson are here to help. Our large selection of quality furniture, feminine accessories and exceptional customer service is sure to make your home design experience as smooth and enjoyable as possible. Visit us online or stop by our convenient showroom location today to get started. We can’t wait to help enhance the beauty and comfort of your home!