The outside of your home matters, it creates an impression from the street, and it’s the view that you come home to at the end of the day. If you’re thinking about selling your home, curb appeal is especially important. To help you improve the exterior of your home, what you need are a few design tips. There are so many ways to enhance your property, so let’s get started.
1 . Potted plants
Adding potted plants to your front garden is the perfect way to create an inviting home. Choose colorful pots, and plants that are easy to care for. When you’re designing your front garden, it can help to have a color scheme in mind. A color scheme will help you to match-up any ornaments and accessories. The following potted plants are super easy to take care of:
- Marigolds: These low-maintenance flowers look great in any garden space. Marigolds will brighten up the front of your home in no time. When you plant your marigolds, make sure that you plant them in well-draining soil.
- Geraniums: Another great choice for a front garden, geraniums are brightly colored, and they don’t need too much attention.
2. Add ornaments
Lawn ornaments are a fantastic way to enhance your front lawn, and express your personality. There are plenty of different styles to choose from whether you’re looking for something minimal or ostentatious. It’s best to focus on just one of two key pieces, (adding lots of lawn ornaments can make your space look cluttered).
3. A new front door
If you’re keen to boost your curb appeal, one of the best ways that you can do this is to update your front door. When you’re looking for a new front door you’ll want to think about security, and aesthetics too. Think about your requirements, preferred materials, and your budget. Before you commit to buying from a company, make sure you do a little research, to ensure that you’re getting a quality product. If you’re looking for a top-quality front door supplier you can learn more about ProVia doors.
4. Paint your fences
Our fences are relentlessly exposed to all different types of weather, over time, they can end up looking worn out. If your fences are looking old and unkempt, the best thing to do is to repaint them. When you’re repainting your fences, keep the following fence painting tips in mind:
- Make sure that you trim the grass that’s around the bottom of your fence.
- Clean your fence first, you might need a hard bristle brush to work on some of the hard areas of dirt.
- If there are any sections of flaking paint, make sure that you scrape these off first.
- Before you start painting you should cover the ground and any flowers with dust sheets.
5. Brightly colored flowers
Looking for a great way to brighten up your front yard? Then flowers are the way to go. There are so many beautiful flowers to choose from. If you’re keen to plant some flowers that are easy to look after, consider these options:
- Cosmos: These delicate purple and yellow flowers will brighten up any garden. Cosmos flowers need part shade to full sun, these pretty flowers come up in spring and bloom until autumn.
- Peonies: Another beautiful flower that’s easy to look after, one of the best things about peonies is that they are both slug-resistant and drought resistant.
6. Renovate your driveway
Perhaps your driveway is looking a little bit dated? If so, you might be keen to update it? The first thing you need to think about is which material you’d like to use? You have many different options including concrete, gravel or resin. Each different option has pros and cons, so you’ll need to do your research. If you’re keen to save money, gravel driveways are an inexpensive option. If you’d like something that’s trendy, but a little more expensive, resin is the way to go. There are lots of different options to improve your home.
7. Powerwash your walls
The exterior walls of your home can get a little grubby over time. If the walls of your home look dirty, this will do nothing for your curb appeal. The best way to clean up the outside of your home is to use a power washer. When you have a power washer it’s easy to clean off hard set dirt and grime. You might consider buying a power washer yourself, alternatively you can hire a power washing service, to come and clean your property.
8. Update your mailbox
Is your mailbox a little dated? To improve the aesthetics of your home you might consider investing in a new one? You might like to keep things color coordinated, and purchase a mailbox that matches your front door? There are many different types of mail box to choose from. You might check out a pedestal mounted mailbox, a cluster box, or a wall mounted box. Choosing a bold color is a great way to make your home stand out.
9. Clean your windows
Dirty windows will do nothing for your curb appeal. If you want our home to look great, it’s a good idea to invest in a window cleaning service. There are many affordable window cleaning companies to choose from, so you certainly don’t have to break the bank. If you’re keen to save money, you might prefer to clean your windows yourself. Just make sure that you follow health and safety precautions, if you’re using ladders.
10. Clear your gutters
Over time your gutters build up with leaves, debris and dirt. Not only is this unsightly, but it can also cause problems with your roof. To keep the outside of your house looking lovely, it’s important to clean out your gutters every once in a while. If you have the skills, you might be able to do this yourself. If not, the best option is to call in a roofing professional.
11. More inspiration
When you’re looking to improve your home, what you need is a little bit of inspiration. To give you some great ideas, these podcasts can help:
- The Beginners Garden: If you want to improve your garden, the beginners garden is the podcast for you. Every week Jill offers plenty of easy tips and resources, to help you make the most of your garden. Recent episodes have focused on, ‘planting mistakes to avoid’ and ‘crops for small spaces’.
- The Daily Gardener: This podcast is a fantastic resource to learn about gardening. Hosted by Jennifer Ebeling, she’s got all the tips you need to become a gardening pro. Expect an interesting show where you’ll learn all about flower selection, root crop preservation and more.
Using these exterior design tips you’ll create a gorgeous home. Before you get started, sit down and write up a budget. A budget will help you to plan your design work, and get organized. Any efforts you make to improve your home will enhance your lifestyle. When you’re updating your home try to be as eco-friendly as possible. Not all interior design practices are green, so it’s important to choose the right contractors and companies. With a little bit of planning, you’ll soon boost your curb appeal.